Ultimate Survivor Kaiji (2007), Hakairoku-hen (2011) & Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa (2018)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

labk1ta

-daisuki
Retired
kaiji.jpg

Title: Tobaku Mokushiroku Kaiji (賭博黙示録カイジ)
Studio: Madhouse
Genre: Drama
Airs: NTV, Tuesdays at 1am, starting October 2nd.
Summary: Not unlike his predecessor Akagi, Kaiji is an obsessive gambler. Throughout the series we'll be seeing more than mere mahjong or other traditional gambling games-- Kaiji will bet on anything, and new gambles and gambling games were developed by creator Nobuyuki Fukumoto for the manga the show is based on. The focus of the show, however, is the psychology behind gambling-- and gambling addiction.

Notable:

* Although the title literally means "Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji," the English name given on the official website is "Ultimate Survivor Kaiji."
* Kaiji is based on the award-winning manga by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, who also created the mahjong manga Akagi. The Kaiji anime will also feature the same staff as the Akagi anime adaptation.

source: japanator.com

ps.
the drawings were kinda weird, but i find it interesting. i was surprised when they revealed the enveloped they were given after they got the money. it was rock-paper-scissor game!
huh.gif

Ultimate Survivor Kaiji? Ha ha....i thought it was just Kaiji! Well i just saw the first episode, and i agree that the animation was a bit funky, different style, not exactly rough....reminded me of my Yu-Gi-Oh days for some odd reason (the animation i mean)

when i first saw the OP i was like...what's going on? but then when i looked into it more, i found myself really liking it!...same with the ED, i really like how they animated that... i liked the whole gambling storyline that they started off with and im quite impressed with the whole plot revolving around bums and people who are in over their head in debt

anyway, really enjoyed the episode, i felt the animation backed up the storyline really nicely, liking the plotline so far (even if it might end up as being one of those things where the guy wins in the end through determination and whatever), if the manga was award-winning im sure the plot will be unique....yay fall season is full of such great new series
biggrin.gif

wow i knew i would like this anime. I watched both episodes, i enjoy the pyschology. Even i could see that Kaji was going to get scammed by that guy lol. It's similar to how people try to hustle in my student union bar at the pool tables.

i've just seen the second episode
its one of the best animes just like hunter x hunter i loved it
although there is no females in it
soooooooooooooooooooo exited for the third episode

just saw the 2nd ep it was so obvious that kaiji was going to get scammed, you could just see it on the other guy's face ...well anyway, im really enjoying this series, the whole psychological factor, its as if you can feel the pressure that they're all going through! hmm...now he's formed a trio, i wonder what he's thinking? is he planning on scamming them himself or is he going to be actually going through with the plan?

and as soon as i saw the stars and the cards and the tournment thing, i was reminded of yu-gi-oh ha ha
rolleyes.gif

If the anime wants to stay true to the cut throat world of gambling he will screw them over hard. Only the ruthless survive and once you get good at the cruise you can enter it numerous times and make loads of money.

Let their despair feed you
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (franzoir @ Oct 16 2007, 12:41 PM) If the anime wants to stay true to the cut throat world of gambling he will screw them over hard. Only the ruthless survive and once you get good at the cruise you can enter it numerous times and make loads of money.

Let their despair feed you
biggrin.gif

Agreed. I think he SHOULD screw them over- I mean the other guy totally did. Though looking at the way he got conned so easily by the other guy, I'm starting to think that he's way too trusting in people. But perhaps the fact that he formed that group changed his perspective and let him see things in the real light. Who knows? It would be interesting to see him loose though and what'd happen to him. Maybe he will, but then he'll do the labour and come back on the cruise and kick everybody's butt!
ohmy.gif

We should always consider the possibilty that Kaiji may end up scammed by them...

They get what they want, then BOOM.

They may have learnt the lesson too.
We'll see what happens.

Well in the beginning of the episode I had thought that Kaiji had gotten scammed yet again, but thank goodness things worked out in the end. I absolutely love this series so far- and episode 3 was so good! Very intense. The whole strategy that Kaiji came up with was brilliant, I don't even know how someone can think straight under such conditions. Kudos to him, he really does deserve it. I was sitting on the edge of my seat totally drawn in when the battle was going on...when the other guy was about to turn the card over the first time (the "balance" guy), i was so nervous lol, I could feel my heart thumping...loved it!

I didnt think he got scammed, when lost his second star i thought that it was the perfect chance to get 2 consecutive stars if the guy was a balance player and was wondering whether Kaji realised it and ofcourse he did. What i dont get now though is that he has 3 stars and some cards first he could just give those cards away to the other 2 losers and walk through the door. Or he could sell the cards im guessing if a person was desperate to earn more stars they would buy the cards. Most important thing right now is clearing the interest, i pray to god he doesnt plan to earn 4 more stars to help those 2 losers.

P.S The way Andou almost screwed them over and haha funny then comes snivelling back, shows how spineless people can be.

P.S.S I noticed how Kaji and Furahata didnt wash their hands but desperate time call for desperate mesures i guess.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Oct 22 2007, 02:32 AM) P.S.S I noticed how Kaji and Furahata didnt wash their hands but desperate time call for desperate mesures i guess.
Omgsh! I noticed that too! I completely forgot to mention that. In the opening when they were taking a piss and then Furuhata runs in and Kaiji is taking a pee WHILE Furuhata was talking (isn't that awkward for guys?
huh.gif
)...then they run out without washing their hands, and they're touching everything...I'm like....ewwwwwww

lol all i could remember thinking was after Kaji shook twice and touch Furahata's shoulders, if i was Furahata i would say get your filthy hands off me.

I knew you could buy and sell cards.

I must say im quite proud of Kaji, that rock card strategy was beautiful however in anime there is always that classic twist and nothing can be too perfect and especially in the gambling world nothing is a sure thing. However if it wasnt for those guys it would have worked but why im proud of Kaji was because of how he bravely told the guy to screw himself over the stars and chanllenged him to a death match. It's beautiful when a man is in fight or die situation, he should show his true colours find some resolve, stick to his path whether right or wrong and be prepared to die if it fails. That what a man does (ok so i'm only 18).
dry.gif

I think this anime somewhat resembles LIAR GAME... (the drama... haven't read da manga)... kinda gambling version...???

hehe Kaji. Ep 5 was the first time i was baffled with the extra card thing. If anything this episode taught me in gambling nothing is a sure thing and to watch what you say even the most insignificant word can cause a fray in the most perfect of strategy.

Another thing, although Kitama lost, the group had 4 stars each meaning they had 3 extra stars so they can still progress through the doors.

Also why hasnt Kaji screwed those 2 over, im starting to think he really does depend on them.

p.s when kaji headbutted kitama i burst out laughing, headbutts ftw

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 02 2007, 09:58 AM) hehe Kaji. Ep 5 was the first time i was baffled with the extra card thing. If anything this episode taught me in gambling nothing is a sure thing and to watch what you say even the most insignificant word can cause a fray in the most perfect of strategy.

True true! I was so proud of Kaiji when he came up with the whole gimmick thing, but in the back of my head I did have a feeling that he was acting the whole time. I knew he must have had something up his sleeve. Bloody genius! Well then, only this series has made the game of rock, paper, scissors as nail-bitingly suspenseful (ok, maybe that was a bit overexaggerated, but you get the picture) as it has. I mean think about it, its rock, paper scissors, add in the extremely tense/anxious/nerve wracking environment and you yourself can feel your own heartbeat throughout the course of an episode. Yeah...just had to comment on that, I'm so impressed with the way things are going at the moment.

Oh yeah, I loved it when Kaiji was yelling at Kitomi and how he was looking backwards- I think I reached a moment of enligtenment by his speech....and he wasn't even talking to me
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE It's beautiful when a man is in fight or die situation, he should show his true colours find some resolve, stick to his path whether right or wrong and be prepared to die if it fails. That what a man does (ok so i'm only 18).
Man OR woman, lets not be sexist here
biggrin.gif

"F*cking retards!" I don't know why, but when Kaiji yelled at the two guys like that I loved it ha ha
laugh.gif

Haha there is a word for people like Funai but i cant say it or ill be banned lol.

Why cant Funai let Kaji be, that was a deliberate attempt to punish Kaji for staying true to the cause. I have to say Kaji isnt the scum i thought he was, it seen once in a while scum evolves and grows a pair of balls however it that was me i would of taken that star so fast.

I have to give Funai credit for his ingenuity, who would of thought a game of Janken (right, wrong? correct me) could be so serious and take so many twists and turns.

I have pretty much tied this anime down to a fusion of yugioh/ death note. Why death note you may ask? Well because of how they have abstract analogies of the situation such as jumping over a cliff and the sticky monster hovering above them when they are desperate. Also the over dramatisations which relates to the anologies to build suspense much like death note.

P.S it's hard not to be gender biased when there is not a single female in the anime *sigh*

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 11 2007, 12:55 PM) I have pretty much tied this anime down to a fusion of yugioh/ death note. Why death note you may ask? Well because of how they have abstract analogies of the situation such as jumping over a cliff and the sticky monster hovering above them when they are desperate. Also the over dramatisations which relates to the anologies to build suspense much like death note.

P.S it's hard not to be gender biased when there is not a single female in the anime *sigh*
Yu-Gi-Oh I can see why. Though Death Note I think it relates to in a different manner. See I think that in Death Note, Light and L were continually making up strategies and plays so that they could outbeat the other. Their main goal, was survival. This theme runs in parallel to Kaiji where he also has to make up strategies and his goal, is to survive.

Now, I feel bad for Kaiji in the end though. Seriously, now there can be no strategy. Everything is going to be random. I wonder how he's going to pull himself out of this one. Though I hope that this doesn't turn into an ending with some cheesy, "miracles always happen to the good and determined" to it. I will seriously loose my respect for this series if it does
dry.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back