The forums are dead, and we gotta fix this!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Nov 23 2009, 06:37 PM) I think would be better after a friend told me about is giving more power to mods, so that they can change the "face" of FTV literally.....Emi would be awesome if she had the chance to re-vamp and pretty much graphically pimp up the frontpage, which seems somewhat dull to me....I never look at it and just jump straight into the forums.
wink.gif

If Emi could redo the design of Fansub.TV, that would be awesome. I like what she did with Sugoi Desu and the J-Zine Webzine. It could be the usual tag team effort where an awesome designer comes and makes things awesome, and I just make things work. I didn't really want to bother Emi about it earlier since she seemed a bit under the weather, but if things have changed for the better, then perhaps we should talk! Both of us adore cute things, so I think it'll be a win-win situation.
smile.gif

QUOTE (warita200 @ Nov 24 2009, 12:53 PM)I never realised, it is so much trouble to keep a site alive. I always believed the anime would keep the site busy whether the owner comes here or not.
I think Fansub.TV might be doing too many things right now, and because of that, things tend to break more often.
sad.gif
It's probably time to either pull more people on-board or to pare down services/offerings.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Nov 24 2009, 12:26 PM)I've also noticed that there have been problems with anime getting uploaded lately; it used to be pretty fast before, but now it lags 1-3 days behind other sites' releases, and there's no screenshots for many of the releases as well. That may be one of the big reasons why people don't come to the forums.

We've had a few problems dealing with bad data or no data recently. I don't really use any other website besides Fansub.TV for my anime (don't watch as much anime as I used to), so sometimes the gaps between when stuff is released and when it's available on Fansub.TV escapes me.

QUOTE (noob @ Nov 24 2009, 12:53 AM)QUOTE (daft27 @ Nov 23 2009, 03:47 PM)
I hate to jump in like this, but are you implying that you might, just might, be not busy enough to do that again?
Haha. I'd do more stuff for Fansub but my work day tends to end at late and irregular times. I think it has to do something with going to work / leaving work whenever I want and sleeping without an alarm clock; things that can easily be remedied. Nowadays, things aren't as busy with the exception of the various somewhat random personal and business trips I take.

QUOTE (Maiku_Ando @ Nov 23 2009, 07:14 PM)Now that would be cool, to watch it literally with everyone, how did you manage to stream to everyone before? We could put something on the server to split up the stream, so from source to server from server to whoever wants to watch? Or have you got some awesome speed net connection at home? lol VLC and VLM can do it, although not tried it before.
VLC and a fat internet pipe to my computer made things work. At 500 kbps per stream, it only takes 5 MBPS for 10 concurrent connections.

I know I havent been on the forums in a few days.. but I didnt think you guys would fill up like 2 more pages!..

Ok so, after reading through everyones posts.. I see there were some.. fights.. and some misunderstandings and some getting off topic.

Now, guys.. everyone's talking about some.. stuff.. that could possibly benfit the forums.. but after we decided on the Anime/Manga club.. we never took it any further. I saw that, right after my post trying to discuss how we were going to go about doing this, peopel decided to go off and talk about stuff completely different. Now, guys, don't take any of this offensively.. but can we get back to the "construction" of the Anime/Manga club?
Maybe my problem with my long post was, I asked too many questions. So lets start with just one, how are we going to set this up within the forum? Is the "Anime Club" going to be in the Anime section, and "manga club" in manga? The answer might seem obvious.. but we gotta go through everything step by step.. and.. although Im just a "kouhais" or whatever.. im trying to make sure that everyone does what they need to do to complete our project..

QUOTE (koiji @ Nov 24 2009, 11:46 PM) I know I havent been on the forums in a few days.. but I didnt think you guys would fill up like 2 more pages!..
This tells you that the forums are not dead
tongue.gif

On a more serious note, the issue I see is that no one is provoking discussion on the forums. One issue is because there aren't many good series out there lately, and so there is a less incentive for the general public to watch anything. The year in general has been as such.
I do like the idea of bringing back "Daft's Anime Hour" since we could ring up some old, but good series that people would actually want to watch, and would hopefully boost traffic for the site.

QUOTE I think Fansub.TV might be doing too many things right now, and because of that, things tend to break more often.
sad.gif
It's probably time to either pull more people on-board or to pare down services/offerings.
I may just be oblivious, but what other things are running besides the forums, the anime servers, karaoke monster (which kinda kicked the bucket), and teamspeak (which I think is also dead lately, but may be revived around new years)?
If there is any more than that, I would say start cutting down on stuff. If anything, I've noticed that download traffic on the site seems to be rather light lately (both prior to and after the Ayu server crash), which is probably due to the following reasons:
1) Crunchyroll and Funimation have started to stream anime with legal subs
2) Other sites that provides similar DDL service as us not only have faster download speeds, but also faster uploading time e.g. animetake.com, lolipower.org, etc...
3) Servers crashing left and right

If this is the case, we may want to rethink how much anime and what kind of anime we end up archiving on the servers, as well as how the bot fetches, but this will probably require a lot more work and time than it's really needed. One possibility is to start providing a download section on the forums itself for older series that were once on the servers but now expired and such.

@Koiji: Regarding having a club on the forums, I'm not exactly sure what specific purpose it would serve since most people who are active on the site are essentially members of the so called "club." Also, any other clubs that branch would probably result in reviving some old wars......
rolleyes.gif

I saw something mentioned in previous posts about "Dafts Anime Hour". What exactly is it? Btw, sorry about the one-liner.. >.<..

QUOTE (koiji @ Nov 25 2009, 07:05 PM) I saw something mentioned in previous posts about "Dafts Anime Hour". What exactly is it? Btw, sorry about the one-liner.. >.<..
http://boards.fansub.tv/?showtopic=3104&st=0
Basically we all get on Teamspeak, connect to a specific server, and daft starts streaming anime.

Also, this should give an idea of what the site's traffic looked like over the past 2 years:
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/fansub.tv

I see.. I was about to ask what Teamspeak was.. but then I remembered I voted on something about teamspeak a while back..

Anyways, Daft's Anime Hour seems like it'd be cool, Im obviously not the only one who thinks so. Why'd we stop doing it?

What about the anime-watching / book club idea we had earlier? Are we still going through with that? All we need is to decide one a series (or two) to watch, a thread for it, and a few people to get on board with it before we start. I think it would be cool watching some cool, old anime and waxing all poetic about it on weekends.
tongue.gif

daft's anime-hour sounds awesome too! ...I was never invited to one before. :'( lol, I don't know that it would create a lot more activity for the site, but it would be cool.

Well Egg, I thought that that's what we had all agreed upon doing..
But Kit doesnt think its a good idea..
But Daft's Anime Hour kinda sounds similar to the Anime club, no?
All we need now is to figure out the manga thing..

Actually Kit.. haven't you been reading this thread progressively since its been started?
The purpose is.. to.. get thinkgs moving again.. bring back peoples interest in the forums and get them involved. We all agreed that one thing the boards was lacking, was something to talk about, so voting on anime/manga, then watching/reading it, and discussing it.. would surely give people something exciting to discuss.. its similar to a book club, where you read a book, or up to a certain part of a book the club has voted on, and then they all meet up and discuss is. It was just to bring some "oneness" back to the forums.. That was the purpose..
wink.gif

Hehe, thanks for the remind Egg.
tongue.gif

Daft's Anime Hour is pretty similar to the anime club. Perhaps those two activities should be merged, and have the anime hour be part of what the club does? I don't think it will really generate much more traffic, but I think whomever participates will be much better engaged in a fun activity. Watching and discussing anime in real-time is so much more enjoyable than just watching anime yourself and discussing it with others later.

QUOTE (EggBeast @ Nov 25 2009, 10:20 PM)daft's anime-hour sounds awesome too! ...I was never invited to one before. :'( lol, I don't know that it would create a lot more activity for the site, but it would be cool.
Haha, it was never really an invitational event. It was just something that was usually held on the whim. I sometimes gave advanced notice, but it was usually just done whenever enough people were on Teamspeak.

Yeah, I think we definitely should merge the two. And I think we can definitely keep the title, "Daft's Anime Hour".. i like it
tongue.gif
.. Although, Im guessing you were never gonna change it, but hey...
wink.gif

Now of course we would need to have a date and time set up. And Im guessing we could do it weekly? I was gonna say bi-monthly, but usually when you make it that spread out, people tend to lose interest or get too involved in other things and say they just dont have the time.. or they really just dont want to.
Maybe you can post a little bulletin in the Anime section the way it is with the section rules, discussing the specifics of DAH? Idk, just a suggestion, kinda to let everyone know whats going on and how its gonna happen, rather than just linking everything to different topics all across the forum., everything would just be in that little bulletin topic thing.

As for Egg's invitation thing, well Daft, (moushiwake arimasen, I know im like giving you piles of stuff to do..) you know how on FTV's homepage, you had the FTV league thing up maybe you could put an announcement up there..
although i just contradicted myself, becaue if you made the bulletin thingy in the Anime section.. it would really already tell you when it is.. HMMM.. Well, it could jut be an ad on the homepage? No? Yes? Idk. Just stuff to think about.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Nov 25 2009, 09:59 PM) Daft's Anime Hour is pretty similar to the anime club. Perhaps those two activities should be merged, and have the anime hour be part of what the club does? I don't think it will really generate much more traffic, but I think whomever participates will be much better engaged in a fun activity. Watching and discussing anime in real-time is so much more enjoyable than just watching anime yourself and discussing it with others later.

Haha, it was never really an invitational event. It was just something that was usually held on the whim. I sometimes gave advanced notice, but it was usually just done whenever enough people were on Teamspeak.
I'd say it was more like people would notify others of the 'event' upon 'initialization of the event'. So... like...:

daft27 has connected...
5 minutes later...
daft: do you guys wanna watch something?
someone: sure lets do that!
someone else: hell yeah!

or someone would ask daft and he'd say yes if he wasn't busy.

Then those individuals would contact the other participants who were also interested.

On another note; A few DAH sessions over the next few days would be nice. Over the weekend would be even nicer.

QUOTE (noob @ Nov 25 2009, 11:14 PM) On another note; A few DAH sessions over the next few days would be nice. Over the weekend would be even nicer.
An excellent idea, but I'll be in Jersey for Thanksgiving and my place there has no fiber line.
sad.gif

But doing it that way is too unorganized and ultimately would make all of this a big failure. If there's no support, the building will fall apart..
If we had a set day and performed DAH regularly, it would attract more members and subsequently get them to join in. If it was just..
someone: "hey wanna do it now?..."
daft: "SURE!!
biggrin.gif
"
too many people might end up missing out on it who may have wanted to participate, and after multiple failed attempts, they'd quit trying all together.

well i suppose thats the charm of this place. its not so much a structured event - its a gathering of a community and spontaneous fun!

But main problem is time zone issues - some people can make it at certain times but other people cant because its like 4AM for them or something.

GMT+8 reporting in

QUOTE (koiji @ Nov 25 2009, 10:36 PM) But doing it that way is too unorganized and ultimately would make all of this a big failure. If there's no support, the building will fall apart..
If we had a set day and performed DAH regularly, it would attract more members and subsequently get them to join in. If it was just..
someone: "hey wanna do it now?..."
daft: "SURE!!
biggrin.gif
"
too many people might end up missing out on it who may have wanted to participate, and after multiple failed attempts, they'd quit trying all together.
I think the regularity would take the fun out of it. The way it was done back in the old times, it was something special.

Yeah.. the time zones is a big problem... Hmm... Im actually not sure what to do about that...

and, acctually I dont remember ever being here for DAH.. either it was just there and people did it all the time and I just was never informed.. or you guys stopped before I joined.. so, I cant really say much about that I guess..

Ironically, this thread got lively with 4 pages of discussions within a period of 10 days.

Anyways, it seems from Kit's alexa link mid-2008 was the most exciting in the past two years, and definitely more active in the previous year before that (not shown). I guess the reason why activity has died on FTV as a whole is the ability to offer.

Perhaps we should give them a reason to interact with the other members, like revive the kudo points idea we had going some time ago.

Lord, I knew I had left FTV for a while, but I didnt think that so much would've happened in that time.. Hmm, maybe I should've realized that early on..
tongue.gif

Anyways, what are these "kudo points" you speak of?

LOL i'd be up for a spontanius (spelling) session of DAH. Infact i think not having a regular time would be more beneficial.

1.We have it one time and people miss out.
2. they start to wonder what they missed cause obviously we're all gonna talk about it.
3. they look out for the next one and invite some people along to "test out DAH".
4 They like it. PROFIT????

Edit as for the manga club im gonna speak with JCD and find out what he has and can give me to upload to several places full series ofcourse but only a volumechapter(s) will be uploaded weekly.
I'll try and get that started over the weekend.

QUOTE (koiji @ Nov 27 2009, 11:13 PM)

Anyways, what are these "kudo points" you speak of?
Lol back in the days you could earn kudo points by singing karaoke or winning anime trivia's on teamspeak xD At least that's how I earned my few kudo points haha
Too bad nothing happened with it afterwards. We were able to do stuff with it and spend them on stuff but I forgot what xD

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back