Suffixs -chi,san,dono etc

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Should suffixes be banned?

• Yes - No one should have them they are pointless

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Only mods should have them

• No - FansubTV wouldn't be the same without them

• Don't know

• Total voters
am I right in thinking that the suffixes actually mean something too? been w hile since I took an interest in a foreign language but I enjoy finding stuff like this out.

Like I said previously my earlier points are rather moot therefore the honorifics should be kept. I believe dchoasblade raises good point however perhaps the suffixes system could be tweaked to distinguish gender (provider the user is willing to disclose their gender). How many people would agree to such a proposal?

Well think of it this way: the internet is incredibly built on anonymous profiles. Now, would you rather be anonymous, where you can decide who or what you want to be (especially in the case of role-playing, or this site for instance), or be truly you (which, by all means, is boring
biggrin.gif
)?

Well that went off topic, but the titles do have flaws, such as the gender thing you mentioned. When it was first implemented by daft, there wasn't anything related to gender at first (when you go to your CP and change your gender, it wasn't there before). So, it's pretty much as is.

Plus, I doubt you'd be staying at a certain title for long. Chances of you being a -chan or -kun for awhile won't be likely unless you request a title change (which comes along after achieving a certain post count of random requirements).

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ Feb 13 2008, 04:45 PM) Plus, I doubt you'd be staying at a certain title for long. Chances of you being a -chan or -kun for awhile won't be likely unless you request a title change (which comes along after achieving a certain post count of random requirements).
I can guess on the post couts, but what, may I ask is a random requirement? Is it soemthing about how your postings at least make some kind of sense and add to the discussion and whatnot? If not I'd like to know what they are though.

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ Feb 13 2008, 03:45 PM) Now, would you rather be anonymous, where you can decide who or what you want to be (especially in the case of role-playing, or this site for instance), or be truly you (which, by all means, is boring )?

Who said being yourself is boring! Especially when that certain someone has a fantastic personality like me!
biggrin.gif
What is there to hide (I joke I joke)! In the interest of privacy it would be unfair to force people to reveal their gender if they didn't want to. I do believe however there are some people out there who would like to disclose their gender.

QUOTE Plus, I doubt you'd be staying at a certain title for long. Chances of you being a -chan or -kun for awhile won't be likely unless you request a title change (which comes along after achieving a certain post count of random requirements).

This change might not have big effects for me personally but I feel it is much more important to consider the effects it will have on the community. Do you think there will be a significant number of people who would like to have their gender known? By looking at the pool I can see that the honorifics add an extra appeal to this site. Perhaps if the suffix system was tweaked so gender differences could be known it will add to even more flavour to the site, and make it a better place? Role playing will still be possible in this system as you could pretend to be a boy and choose the -kun titles. It might even enhance the role playing experience as you can make a more convincing persona!
wink.gif

I think we just need to bring back the gender-distinction feature and it would solve everyone's problems. Because I'm not sure it's worth tweaking the honorifics, and it's been pointed out that "chan" can be used for both genders (I think especially when boys are young, which would work with our system here since "chan" is near the bottom).

Ok I don't really see a point of now the gender feature will apply to the honorifics anymore, but I kind of wonder do or did a lot of the users here that had the -chan complain about it as much. I mean how many are we talking here ball park wise?

Aside from that I wonder if it could show the honorific title while viewing your, or another user's profile though.

People complaining isn't overly abundant, but it does happen on occasion. Some people are 'insulted' by the -chan honorific. *shrug*
I don't think that the -chan/-kun thing is necessary, but I do think that it would be an excellent idea to implement an optional gender selection.
Hell, if you wanted to pretend you were a girl, you could say so, but at least I'd know to say she instead of saying "she/he" every time or trying to avoid any gender-specific words...

Anybody can lead on that they are of any gender if they wanted to even for role-playing aspects. If anything it would be more for personal gratification. If it ends up being a problem for anyone person they'll just pick what they want anyways.

Do all user name has a suffixs btw? because some time I see some user without ant suffixs at all,what does that mean?
unsure.gif

Edit: one post above me is such example
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (aquaspirit39 @ Feb 15 2008, 08:54 PM) Do all user name has a suffixs btw? because some time I see some user without ant suffixs at all,what does that mean?
unsure.gif

Edit: one post above me is such example
biggrin.gif

That just means they haven't posted much in the forums. It doesn't take much, but you have to post a bit before you get -chi.

As Barbobot said, you need a few posts to get your first honorific of -chi. Usually it takes an average of 10 posts, though it can go faster if you make good, thoughtful, long posts. Could also potentially take longer if you make lots of very short ones.

That kind of makes me wonder if anyone has ever written a fery long was possibly weel thought out post now, just so they could get another hornaorable a lot faster now. I kind of wonder if that is even possible here at all.

Although I kind of wonder if there is such a long post on a thread that is reconised for obtainning an honorable without even posting as much here with that one long post.

I think that suffixes should remain unchanged
smile.gif
. They are far better way of representing ones experience than average post count metter.

I like the suffix thing, it’s an easy way to tell who’s new and who’s an old hand, and something harmless to aspire to. Some places do things like give you download credits for posting more which I think is much more likely to lead to spam as people try to gain access to stuff.

Maybe the actual choice of titles should be reviewed occasionally though, some titles are pretty archaic and there are others which might be considered like Sensei for senior figures, or maybe Danchou, like Haruhi uses.

Well once you meet the 'special requirements' - you can make your title Danchou or Sensei or whatever else you like
tongue.gif

And qrdel, you totally stole my honorific!! xD now I'm going to have to change mine to something new...Don't have access to Hiragana/Katakana characters at work though, so will have to wait till I get home...

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back