Philosophy

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

davidY

-san
Kouhai
I was watching this quantum physics show on TV (cool 3d animations, so i decided to watch it), but it raised the question about philosophy. Do you know any wierd philosophy?
i have two:
the wierdest is that the universe is a all-verse. as in it exists in all states possible in the any-verse. for example, how do you know that your memory is real? you could have mis-remembered, or made it up to convince yourself about something, or it could be an random collection of molecules that suddenly bumped into your head and caused some random memory to occur. what i say is that all the universe is at existance, not necessarly in time order, however, we cannot tell that it is true. your continuous existance may be simply one combination of the any-verse... i have difficulty thinking about that. (or i may just be wierd)

my other wierd one is the idea that all existance is held onto by belief and that if enough people believe something, it will actually exist - it's just that the reason that we dont see UFO is that there are soo many skeptics. The fabric of reality is our existance, and we exist because other people believe we exist. For example, if i dream of something, i may create a real world separate from this one, where they may dream of this world.

that's why i don't think about these kind of stuff. i'd only be hurting myself.

i even heard something about the objects we see are not actually there. it's moving around the universe (or was it world) with speed 99999 raised to the power of 999... something miles per second. okay, that was physics but the speaker i heard it from added something about existence of supernatural. that's where philosophy came in. and it just messed my head that day.

all this stuff is interesting
but its pointless!!!
i was also watching this show on Quantum mechanics and Einstein's String Theory. (I was watching it during the ads of a TV show!! ><) And it was quite good. They believed in other dimensions and everything is determined by a probability. For example, i buy a drink and it is orange. But in another dimension this drink might be blue or green. It was all wierd and confusing for noobs to physics.
But they did say how no one can prove the String Theory, and once you can't prove something scientifically, it becomes a philosophy.

I think this is sort of derived off of the possibilities of infinity. If there are an infinite number of alternative dimensions, then anything is possible and there will exist a dimension that actually has what you think it might have.

A supernatural existance can come from an existance that has the power to transcend dimensional boundaries and if they have the power to do that, then they can do other things as well. There's probably even one dimension that's filled with nothing but god-like beings.

yeah, probably, philosophy is too much, especialy time warp type stuff, like the go back in time and kill parents (or is that just science fiction?). still it would be cool if we could travel between these wierd worlds

btw, chibinyaa, did you watch the spy school show on abc, on monday? it is a great show

yeah im from australia too. it is amazing how many australians are on this board. check tv guide, monday 8:30, ABC, called "spy school"

(this seems to be a big divergance from Philosophy)

here is a problem: what is understanding? for example, (this is a classical example), imagine if there is a room with a english guy with no idea of japanese. then he has this big book with heaps of rules. Somebody from outside passes the guy a note in japanese, and the guy inside the room follows the rules in the big book, and writes a response, and passes it outside. If the rule book was large enough, to the guy on the outside, the guy on the inside seems to know japanese. however the guy on the inside dosent know jap, he just has a good rule book. so what is understanding? is the book understanding?

simple philosophy:

which is first..egg or chicken.

lol..thats is definitely philosophy for me.
biggrin.gif

do you guys actually believe in philosophy??? or is it rather a trick to it juss to make believe to make massive sellouts for cash prices.

Well I don't think there is and financial gain in believing in a philosophy. Philosophy is more about learning and morals etc.
I believe in the existence of philosophy, well you can't ignore that it exists. But I don't agree with some of them....
Would you call the Big Bang a philosophy?

i always thought that the big bang was the logical conclusion that scientists came to when they found that stars are moving away from each other, which seems to say that they were all at one spot at some time, and that would mean that there is a bang (dunno where they got that bit from)

well, if they were moving apart, and no other forces acted on them, then they would move in some wierd 'straight' line, and if you assumed that it moved in this line, well, it all has got to meet somewhere or other. or perhaps there is a more techinical reason scientists believe in the big bang (maybe they dont like there to be an easy answer)

big bang is rather a rushed conclusion for the beginning of the universe... how did they prove it.. no one knows, i mean honestly wtf man ...how did the universe begin wif a big bang ...

i still understand how particles justcame together after the massive heat blast to form planets ???

QUOTE (mugen023 @ Dec 10 2004, 03:02 PM)i still understand how particles justcame together after the massive heat blast to form planets ???
huh? i thought that the big bang was not really an explosion, but when the universe came into existance, and then got bigger. and planets were originally dust, and then by random chance, the dust particles stuck together, and clumped bigger and bigger and eventually it became a big big big big rock. (probably a better explanation) (curse physics class, why do we have to learn this stuff?). anyway, i agree that it is a bit hard to prove this stuff. we have never actually seen a planet forming, probably since it takes millions of years, but still we have never seen it happen. and as we say, if you cant see it, you cant believe it.

QUOTE (davidY @ Dec 10 2004, 05:36 PM) if you cant see it, you cant believe it.
Seeing is believeing... my friend once pointed out what's wrong with this statement like "Do you really want to see something just to believe in it?" Philosophically it's not true because a lot of things around us are invisible to the naked eyes...

Not all planets however are made out of the cosmic dusts from the big bang, a good example is Saturn, according to the Cassini Project the planet is a huge ball of gas... so fat chance in finding life there, but some of the moons are interesting that they can possibly support life someday...

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back