Light Novel Section?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

mamori

-sama
Sempai
with the recent news that the cover for the English Spice and Wolf will be changed to help appeal to a broader audience (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/10/14/english-spice-wolf-ditches-horo/) (internal pictures will remain as the original artwork thankfully), I thought "hey, I should post this on fansub.tv to see what people think!", when I realized there was not a perfect section to post the topic in. we have an anime section (maybe?), manga section (hmm), but no Light novel section.

Seeing as how many of our beloved anime are now derived from light novel instead of manga counterparts, and since we have something of a desire to keep each medium in it's specified forum, why not have a light novel section in the same way we have anime and manga sections?

QUOTE (mamori @ Oct 14 2009, 04:09 PM)with the recent news that the cover for the English Spice and Wolf will be changed to help appeal to a broader audience (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/10/14/english-spice-wolf-ditches-horo/) (internal pictures will remain as the original artwork thankfully), I thought "hey, I should post this on fansub.tv to see what people think!", when I realized there was not a perfect section to post the topic in. we have an anime section (maybe?), manga section (hmm), but no Light novel section.

Seeing as how many of our beloved anime are now derived from light novel instead of manga counterparts, and since we have something of a desire to keep each medium in it's specified forum, why not have a light novel section in the same way we have anime and manga sections?
Personally I'd just put it in the manga section since it is fairly close given that they are both distributed on paper and are usually the definitive version of the story.

You have to remember that a lot of Anime also come from Visual Novels and even some from Eroge but there is no set section for that as far as I can see (correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally linking to sankaku on this site is generally not a good idea given the number of minors that frequent the site. We don't want to be the ones corrupting their minds as of course that could lead the site into legal trouble just as easily as hosting copyrighted files will.

1) Visual Novels would generally be considered Games, I would think (as would Eroge games); though eroge content wouldn't be discussed here...

2) Although I agree that it is tough to know where to post info regarding light novels, I don't think there is enough demand for; nor enough people interested in discussion about light novels to warrant a section of it's own. At best, it'd have only as many threads as you can count on the fingers of your hands...

3) In regards to posts about Spice & Wolf light novels, I would post in the Spice & Wolf thread in the anime section. Should I want to post about a light novel that there is no current anime based of, I would post in the General Discourse section.

Edit: I agree with langes01x that Sankaku shouldn't be linked to here due to it's affinity with...adult content...

I'd say Light Novel topics should just be posted in the manga section. I know there are at least 2 topics in the manga section for light novels, one regarding the Suzumiya novels and another for the Twelve Kingdoms novels. If a Light Novel section were to be opened up there would most likely be so little conversation going on due to the lack of many light novels getting licensed/translated or fan-translated.

For this instance I would have no problem with a Spice and Wolf Light Novel topic being made in the manga section and is what I would suggest.

Here I always tohught that Light Novels were considered as another form of manga to begin with. So with that if you feel the need to add a Spice & Wolf topic in the manga section I see no problems with it at all.

I will be forever scarred by what I saw at the link to sankaku the OP posted, can an admin please edit the post to remove the link...

I would also have to agree with what seems to be the general consensus. Light novels are included in the Manga section. At most, to alleviate any confusion, admins could add "light novels" somewhere in the "Mangas" topic description.

lol, apologies for the link being NSFW (or at least the margins of it), it's my habit to link my sources XD.

at any rate, have we decided to post light novel content in the related manga section then?

QUOTE (mamori @ Oct 18 2009, 02:55 PM) lol, apologies for the link being NSFW (or at least the margins of it), it's my habit to link my sources XD.

at any rate, have we decided to post light novel content in the related manga section then?
Well there haven't been any other ideas or people disagreeing with that. So go ahead and post light novel stuff in the manga section.

If you want you can take a quote from the site if you feel that the sites content will cause problems. I mean granted it's actually a good site to get news that is either interesting or so out there that it'll make you want to question on did this really happen or not?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back