Koushin Scheduler suggestion?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

NinjaDuck

-chi
Kouhai
It's hard to come up with any suggestions for the Koushin Scheduler, which is only, like, the Best Applet On The Internet.. Ever.. but since the random download behaviour seems to've been ironed out, I've been wondering how neat this option would be:

Manually scheduling new downloads appends to the bottom of the Koushin schedule same as always.. but for the ongoing shows you've taken the time to "subscribe" to (how awesome is THAT feature, by the way!) wouldn't it be neat if they prefixed to the start of the schedule, effectively making them next in line for download?

Maybe others would disagree and prefer the series they've currently scheduled for download to complete before returning to the misc goodies they've subscribed to. Compromise: a checkbox on the site somewhere to set a cookie? or a checkbox within the applet itself?

Anyway, just a suggestion based on personal download behaviour. Hope I don't sound too precocious suggesting anything for this already killer app. (Thanks The Daftmeister!)

Have fun & mung beans,
-Duck

QUOTE (NinjaDuck @ Jan 27 2007, 08:18 AM) wouldn't it be neat if they prefixed to the start of the schedule, effectively making them next in line for download?
Hmm. If I comprehend right, are you saying allow files that you have subscribed to be a priority, or just allow priority to be handled completely by adjusting which files would go first? Or maybe your downloads go first by newest?

I think the behavior (or so-called) is acting upon releases, not by priority. So if you happen to get on the scheduler 3 days after your last visit, you'll still get list in order of release.

You almost get what I mean hama-san, and you describe the current behaviour ok, but I'm not talkin' about prioritising with a specific order amongst the "subscribed" auto-schedulings -- there prolly wouldn't be a need coz we wouldn't exactly be bombarded with a heap to choose from each week (depends how greedy we get with the subscription service I guess, LoL)..

I'm just talking about treating those auto subscription goodies as "higher priority" (added to top of the list) while the episodes you've manually scheduled to tide you over in the meantime are treated as "lower priority" (added to the bottom of the list, as per current behaviour).

This means in its simplest implementation the "order of release" of the auto subscription episodes would be reflected in reverse order at the top of the list. ie: newest releases keep appearing at the top. However, if you do indeed get bombarded with new subscribed releases all the time, this can lead to a logic error where the list can never quite work itself down to the older releases, coz whenever the applet refreshes the list (is it every 10 minutes or so) any new stuff would keep jumping the queue into the top slot.

Of course you could add slightly more complexity to the applet by internally flagging whether an entry was subscribed or manually scheduled; then it'd be easy to keep the order of subscribed new releases starting with the oldest at the top, working down to the newest, then followed by any of the lower-priority manually scheduled stuff at the bottom.

The granularity of choosing an exact download order (1,2,3,4,5) isn't needed --just stay top-to-bottom for simplicity's sake.

:eek:/ Hmm.. it's a simple concept in my head but it seems to take a lot of words to describe. And of course the whole idea depends upon the premise that it's not just me who sees subscribed goodies as higher priority than manually scheduled goodies.

--
Bwa-hey! A new thought I just had -- might be simpler for Daft to implement too -- is to add a checkbox to every entry in the scheduler (third column?). If you notice a new release appear at the bottom of the list, as they currently do, you can tick the checkbox. Anything with a tick is treated as higher priority and chosen next for download. If there is more than one file ticked, the applet just chooses them in order top to bottom before reverting back to the unticked items. There could also be an option to "auto-tick" the new releases as they appear in your list! (~.~) Otaku heaven.

Now that I think about it, I like the checkbox idea better, coz it keeps everyone happy: People who like Koushin Scheduler the way it is simply ignore the checkboxes; while impatient gorms like me waiting to pounce on the next episode of [insert fave cartoon here] can tick ahead and when a current download is done the Koushin Scheduler will temporarily skip over the intervening manually scheduled items we've queued up. (o.O) kewl...

Have fun & cheesy puffs,
-Duck

I think being able to re-order files in the scheduler would be helpful. Which I believe is kind of what you're hinting at? If you have 50 episodes lined up and something new comes out that you want right away, you don't want to have to delete the other 50 episodes just to make the new one number one.

Tying it into the watchlist feature is an interesting suggestion as well.

I have a quick suggestion for fansub tv. I think that the schedualer should have a clear all feature of some kind.

There was a point in my life when I was completely enamored by the idea of just scheduling my anime to download and having it ready to watch when i come home. I still am today but now i have about half a years worth of undownloaded scheduled animes because i started doing the torrent thing for awhile and just now remembered that the scheduler exists. I dont know about you but i do not enjoy clicking one cancel button at a time, clicking ok, waiting until the page loads and repeating about a hundred times.

Now dont get me wrong I am not criticizing anyone at fansub tv. You do an excellent job most of the time. I do not pretend to understand what goes into running this website or what difficulties implementing my idea would impose, but i do think that it is an idea worth your consideration.

Well back to deleting...

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back