home page looked better before

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 12 2011, 02:13 AM) ^ The genre page lists both the recent anime from the genre, as well as a list of everything in the archive that fits it.

For the picture, not sure where that'd fit... Personally, I like the already existing banner, and don't think that we need any more images on front page. The banner, of course, could be re-designed, but I would personally not be up for making something of comparable style and quality to what we have.

P.S. Oh and Haruhi isn't cute. I'd hate to see her every time I walk onto FTV. I may be hatin'/trollin' but whatever.
Agree...the front page is already crowded as it is. I asked daft to consider trimming the Sendai earthquake link in order to make some space for those tiny fonts...too many to bother reading let alone in a size that one has to get too close to the monitor to read. All in all, great suggestions towards what will hopefully, become an eye pleasing invitation to venture into the FTV forums for a possible, prolonged visit. ;;-)

When I said cute anime character, I didnt have Haruhi in mind originally..... Haruhi occured to me afterwards, when I was thinking about what would go well with Mikuru. I am open to ideas, in the end the web is frequented mostly by guys, so they should chose something that suits their taste the best.

The ideas on whether the front page is empty or crowded differ. Ausdo and Imtakes think it is too full, other people complain about lean spots.

I personally feel there is too much text on the fron page and not enough eye candy. The rather functional look could be loosend up with another image or something nice.

Well the only lean spots are the sides at the moment, but daft-sama is trying to do a scale model before implimenting it it seems.

Also, most of the comments that anyone with a Sempai Satus or higher should take continue the critiquing and suggestions this in the proper thread. At the very least this is still a work in progress mind you.
wink.gif

That way daft-sama can get things done right, and everyone can enjoy the new front page and what have you.
tongue.gif

QUOTE Agree...the front page is already crowded as it is.

QUOTE I personally feel there is too much text on the fron page and not enough eye candy.

One way to reduce the amount of text w/o losing functionality I already mentioned: Use the bar with drop-down menus as seen on the "Anime" page.

QUOTE The ideas on whether the front page is empty or crowded differ. Ausdo and Imtakes think it is too full, other people complain about lean spots.

Doesn't matter what you want to call it, it's inefficient use of space. There is a little too much going on on the main page now, mostly as a fault of the forum post previews. The sides are empty, and I did mention a number of things they can be used for in my first tl;dr post.

I've been lurking here for a little bit, and this is my first post EVER on a forum, so please be gentle.

QUOTE One way to reduce the amount of text w/o losing functionality I already mentioned: Use the bar with drop-down menus as seen on the "Anime" page.

I was just wondering why the top menu for the anime page is different than the rest of the site?

Personally, I think that menu is very well done. It is clean and efficient and I would not mind seeing something similar for the main page. You could even put the existing banner into where the Fansub.TV image is now. I really like your banner and I would hate to see it lost.

Normally I am not a fan of drop-down menus. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to do a drop-down menu listing the recent forum threads, like the drop-down menu on the anime page listing the popular shows. That way you can avoid the block of text that shows the recent forum posts. It just feels very cluttered now.

wow so much input
biggrin.gif

thanks kidwolf, and take-senpai too (and ofcourse everyone else, im still reading
tongue.gif
), i dont oppose to change, i welcome it, but the old page's aesthetics were so nice i kind of panic'ed (how do you conjugate panic? lol)

I think most of all i was panicking about how the page became so engrosed and hard to navigate, the letters look so tiny even in my flatscreen monitor (can 720p) and its all a bit convulted.

overall I dont mind since the home page still has the latest additions but it kind of hurts the eyes seeing so many little letters and links all jumbled up like this (not like "its an eyeshore, kono hentai-domo me" but as in, it literally makes my eyesight hurt) XD

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 12 2011, 06:12 AM) The sides are empty, and I did mention a number of things they can be used for in my first tl;dr post.
I agree, the sides are currently going to waste. It would be better to have the ads on the sides and cut the ad banner on the top. That would pull up the list of animes further on most monitors, and have everything in one location without having to scroll down. It would actually support more advertising space.

I also think the "next page" function for anime browsing should be on the top rather than at the very bottom of the page. Maybe turn the actual "Browse Anime" label into a drop-down menu, listing the various genres, and put the "next page" function where the list of genres currently sits.

Just my two cents.

I liked it better, when the threads in the forums on the front page were in bold. It is more difficult to read it now.

EDIT: Thanks!

I'm still moving forward with the design, making changes as the suggestions come in. However, just to clarify a few things, there are a couple of constraints that are affecting the layout, preventing me from making some of the changes that have been repeatedly suggested.

- The ad banner at the top of the page generates several times more revenue than the vertical banner and the square ad block combined. Naturally, getting rid of the ads in general is impractical as the site has been operating at a loss for some time now, and using more advertisements is kind of bad altogether. Moving the ad banner down below the initial 500px is considered a violation of terms, and could cause all ad revenue to stop when discovered. Square adverts are preferred at this point over the vertical ones because they significantly outperform the vertical ones. In short, the top advert needs to stay but can be moved around within the initial 500px.

- There is a missing high-priority (high value, low cost) element that is not being shown and accounted for at the moment. A few suggestions have been made about relocating or shrinking the front page announcements. The goal behind these suggestions seems to be a higher promotion of the new anime episodes towards the top of the page. The demotion of the announcements to a lower portion of the page isn't really a problem, but just be aware that the space made will still be occupied.

- The page should not require more than about 1000px in width (which may be already too high, if you consider the vertical scrollbar). Anything more than that causes horizontal scrolling on a 1024x resolution width screen. This constraint, however, does not preclude using a fluid or elastic layout. Just understand that designing for that becomes much more difficult, as not only does the site need to be tested using numerous browsers/OS combinations, it also needs to work using a multitude of resolutions as well.

There are other factors as well (such as page loading performance, color reproduction, etc) that affect various design decisions as well (for example, darkening the background causes issues with putting the banner on top of the page on some monitors due to different gamma settings), so unfortunately I have to compromise in a lot of places.

QUOTE In short, the top advert needs to stay but can be moved around within the initial 500px.

Hmm, then IMO you should move it below the title banner, as it was done here: http://anime.fansub.tv/browse.php/

QUOTE - The page should not require more than about 1000px in width (which may be already too high, if you consider the vertical scrollbar). Anything more than that causes horizontal scrolling on a 1024x resolution width screen.

What I'm wondering is how many people still use 1024x resolution anymore. I haven't seen a monitor that small in years. And also, old page was wider than that and it was not a problem?

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 12 2011, 05:22 PM) What I'm wondering is how many people still use 1024x resolution anymore. I haven't seen a monitor that small in years. And also, old page was wider than that and it was not a problem?
You're correct that monitors normally aren't made that small anymore, but a lot of the 9" netbooks being sold nowadays typically come with a 1024x600 resolution screen. The current design standard is to use a 1000px max fixed-width layout or use a fluid layout.

The old home page also has a 1000px width limit (if you just use another browser and don't log in, you'll see the old home page). Perhaps you're thinking of some of the other old pages? The episode/series pages used to use a fluid layout that expand to fit the page.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 13 2011, 12:22 AM) What I'm wondering is how many people still use 1024x resolution anymore. I haven't seen a monitor that small in years. And also, old page was wider than that and it was not a problem?
I do T_T

The old home page also has a 1000px width limit (if you just use another browser and don't log in, you'll see the old home page). Perhaps you're thinking of some of the other old pages? The episode/series pages used to use a fluid layout that expand to fit the page.

I can't check now anymore, but I recall the old main page expanding to fit the entire screen just like the forums. May be false memory.

Something that's bothering me about the new layout is there is no visual separation between sections. Not sure about web layout trends lately, but I've been a lot of paneling in the past and always thought it looked nice. Something else that could be done that would at least make the homepage not burn your eyes is choose a pastel blue or something for the unused expansion space, narrowing your view in and making it feel a lot more welcoming. Its quite the unpleasant experience at 1920x1200 with both the main page section and the expanding edge gap as white. For a good example of what I mean, look at anandtech.

Oh nice.. this one is really good. I think its a keeper in terms of layout.

There is one question though. If we have new message for us to find out about it do we have to open the drop down menu to see the unread message number? Or does a number magically pop out somewhere near our username up there? If its the former, then it'd be hard to tell if you've received a message, when you have just connected to the website to check your inbox status, or even while browsing the main page:/

Can't we move the banner up to where the "Fansub.TV" text is, and shift the "anime forum blogs" links a bit to the right? With that, the page would look pretty much perfect.

Daft, heads up for you: my browser misplaces the top banner on the current main page, even though everything works fine once I go to the anime-page. You should check to see what the difference b/w the two is. I've got the latest version of Opera, iirc.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 13 2011, 06:49 PM) Can't we move the banner up to where the "Fansub.TV" text is, and shift the "anime forum blogs" links a bit to the right? With that, the page would look pretty much perfect.

Daft, heads up for you: my browser misplaces the top banner on the current main page, even though everything works fine once I go to the anime-page. You should check to see what the difference b/w the two is. I've got the latest version of Opera, iirc.
I've tried something like that in the past, but it didn't look right for some reason (probably mainly due to size). I think it would be possible to make a smaller, non-animating version and replace just the current smaller version of it.

Is that Opera for Windows?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back