H264 episodes

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still has nothing to do with HD. I can encode HD with ASP as well. And I can encode SD H.264. (hell I have already)

So really no link whatsoever between the two. And that wikipedia page even lists non-HD and non-SD resolutions (because all of that is supported by H.264).

QUOTE (WarAngel @ Oct 09 2007, 02:16 AM)ARE U FOR REAL ??????
H264 IS A HD FORMAT ...READ SOME MORE...

H.264 is an MPEG-4 Format not HD.

I hope people in this topic can tell between personal opinions and fact.
Quality is controlled by the subbers and re-encoding xvid divx or w/e to h.264 will only at best keep the quality of xvid.
h.264 is more cpu intensive thus seek time when jumping through an episode is slower for some. And compatibility of divx is just far superior to h264 for most devices.
Also for the drastically smaller sizes of h.264 I've noticed lower frame rates.

will only at best keep quality of xvid? FALSE....
your only re-iterating, and fyi h264 isn't as cpu intensive the smaller it is, noticeable differences only show when seeking, and if your seeking your not really watching the anime, so thats quite the minor issue...

compatibility??? most devices your referring to what exactly, last time I checked unless your using an old ibm from the 80's pc's have no problem with compatibility, if your referring to converting to play on dvds, thats not really the point or issue here and so no related...

lower frame rate is a given, its a smaller size, that goes hand and hand with anything.

QUOTE (OffC3nter @ Sep 27 2007, 11:54 AM) One reason that i know of to support Xvid is that it tends to run smoother on lower spec/older computers.
Tell me about it. I can't wait until my bonus, hopefully next paycheck. Newer PC here I come!

I prefer mp4 container (or mkv), and h264 is a good quality codec that's well suited for both SD and HD.
Avi is usually my last option. It's like the floppy, it _can_ be tweaked etc. producing something like the zip-drive maybe. But it's a thing of the past now (thankfully). It was replaced first by cd's and finally (and almost completely) by usb-sticks. Today we're only anoyed whenever we need a floppydrive, like for sata-drivers when installing windows (workarounds excist ofcourse).

Unfortunatley we havn't progressed this far in the case of media containers yet. And there are still many software-companies(read: subbers) that offer their software(read:anime) on floppy discs(read:in the old avi-container) for compatability purpuses.
Two years from now I hope this will all have changed (less than two years seems too optimistic, but lets hope
dry.gif
).

So you're fine with Xvid video so long as it's in an MP4 or MKV container?
tongue.gif

H264 does offer better compression, but you need something close to a 1ghz PC for most higher resolution content. I myself have trouble playing Dragonaut on my PC, because it's an old 566 Mhz Celeron that I use as my backup when my usual PC is broken, so I have to take an hour or two to encode the H264 video to Xvid then put it with the audio into an MP4 using MP4box.

@Reiji: Sounds like you are doing a bit too much work. You can convert the video and put it into an MP4 container in one step when using a converter.

Basically the reason I prefer MKV over AVI is because of the soft subtitles. I can turn the subtitles on and off as well as having multiple options for what the subtitles look like. Plus if the font absolutely sucks (Shakespeare's first release of Romeo x Juliet) then I can always change the font permanently.

XVID isn't all that bad. As long as the encoder is proficient at what he/she does then it will turn out good despite the codec used. Of course H264 has better compression which is one reason that I prefer it. If only they made DVD players that supported MKV & H264. Then H264 would be adopted so much quicker.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Nov 16 2007, 12:15 PM)@Reiji: Sounds like you are doing a bit too much work. You can convert the video and put it into an MP4 container in one step when using a converter.
I don't have a converter that supports MP4, I'm using Avisynth, VirtualDub, and MP4box to do it.

I use Avisynth to open the MP4 in Virtualdub, then save as Xvid with no audio, then when that's done I open YAMB (Yet Another Mp4 Box GUI) and demux the audio from the original video (weird though, they use MP3 instead of AAC) and mux the audio and Xvid video to MP4.

So yeah, I guess I am doing more things than are necessary
smile.gif

QUOTE (Reiji @ Nov 16 2007, 06:14 PM)I don't have a converter that supports MP4, I'm using Avisynth, VirtualDub, and MP4box to do it.
Good job using actual decent tools to get the job done.

QUOTE (Reiji @ Nov 16 2007, 06:14 PM)(weird though, they use MP3 instead of AAC)
Well transcoding audio loses quality. And most raws that fansubbers work off of use low bitrate mp3 audio. So there is a good chance that group is just including the original mp3 audio from the raw (which is a good thing to do) instead of reencoding it.

QUOTE (Reiji @ Nov 16 2007, 06:14 PM)So yeah, I guess I am doing more things than are necessary
smile.gif

No you're not. Keep doing it this way and you're guaranteed not to have lots of weird problems from using single click converters.

QUOTE (YellowJello @ Sep 27 2007, 09:41 AM) What is with the severe lack of H264 episodes? XviD is old, gives inferior image quality and is trying to be phased out by many groups so why is it never uploaded here?
I think avi is much better the picture quality the sound and easy to use its all in avi, is so muck better then mkv (H264) and always has been the HD. Version of this is terrible and gives nothing but hassle and problems please don't force this crap on everyone.
mad.gif
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back