Comments about the Website/Forum/Blog

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (noob @ Feb 28 2010, 10:48 PM)Are you screen sizes 7" or something? I've looked at this page using my 14.5" and 15" laptops + my other pc that had 17" monitor, using windows xp, 7, mac osx 10, ubuntu 9 and the bar went absolutely un-noticeable using any of the devices and or platforms. Maybe anyone who is having this problem have a 800x600 screen resolution? Hold on let me try that.

edit: I barely noticed the bar, again. Maybe it's just you guys?
edit2: @destroyah, yes a noscript would most definitely solve the problem except that it'd block out the ads at the top of the page too, from what I recall anyways. *shrug*. Wait- are you guys telling me the gigantic signatures in this board don't even bother you but that one little tiny bar is killing you? That bar is like.... as big as someone's post these days (minus the avatar and gigantic signature. )

Well some people do surf the site on a 7" notebook screen so yeah the bar would be pretty noticeable. I will give you one thing, it's more how you tihnk on it, for example you don't mind it being there so you will hardly notice it on any OS and on any res.
For others it will be different. We don't want it there so our attention is dragged to it which makes it even worse.

Strange how people think isn't it? Also as for the sigs, they're nice to look at where as the bar isn't, it's dull and boring. Although i do think some other people wouldnt mind it if it had a few anime characters on it.

QUOTE (noob @ Feb 28 2010, 06:48 PM) Are you screen sizes 7" or something? I've looked at this page using my 14.5" and 15" laptops + my other pc that had 17" monitor, using windows xp, 7, mac osx 10, ubuntu 9 and the bar went absolutely un-noticeable using any of the devices and or platforms. Maybe anyone who is having this problem have a 800x600 screen resolution? Hold on let me try that.

edit: I barely noticed the bar, again. Maybe it's just you guys?
edit2: @destroyah, yes a noscript would most definitely solve the problem except that it'd block out the ads at the top of the page too, from what I recall anyways. *shrug*. Wait- are you guys telling me the gigantic signatures in this board don't even bother you but that one little tiny bar is killing you? That bar is like.... as big as someone's post these days (minus the avatar and gigantic signature.
tongue.gif
)
9-10", actually. Running Windows 7. Also, as shinigamii said, when you don't like it it becomes much more noticeable b/c your eyes are constantly drawn to it.
As for your comment about the signatures:
Control Panel -> Board Settings -> Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics? -> No
Magical! No more signatures!
Having an option to turn things off makes life easier, and gives less complaints.

edit by noob: rofl.... let me quote this again.

QUOTE I'm going to go ahead and rape your guys' screen to get my point across.
new_forums.png

Now, click on the spoiler. good try on teaching me how to turn off features though. excellent guide! 10/10! 5 stars. 2 thumbs up!

Seriously guys there is a hide button on it for a reason. If you don't like it make it hide and then all you get is a little up arrow box in the bottom right. Sure it doesn't "turn it off" but it's pretty close. I'm not saying I like it or anything (slower connections could be affected and as said smaller screens too could be a problem (but who has a screen that is less than 720p anyways?)) but I don't mind innovation. This is just the first iteration of it I am sure so it may be changed if people have that much of a problem with it.

So this is all the ho ha that I was hearing a few days back? And someone actually blamed me for these horrible changes with my earlier suggestion of twitter integration.

Hmm but I see the delete button has be reinstated for sempais. I guess a certain hidden someone has been pulling the strings again.
rolleyes.gif
Gee, this puppet master seems to be going all out these days and is controlling a lot of things in the background. First Sugoi, then this! Whatever next?
rolleyes.gif

I see your screenshot and raise you mine:

It takes up about 2 lines of text, and I barely can see a whole post depending on how long it is in the first place. It makes a big deal. Even the "little" arrow button is in the way. Plus, it doesn't stay hidden on my computer.

Not that the bar isn't problematic on your computer... but you should consider using Google Chrome, hiding your bookmark bar or using full-screen mode in Firefox (F11). It might buy you a little more usable screen real-estate.

Just bear with the Meebo bar a bit longer, I'm currently working on a different part of Fansub.TV right now. When I'm done with that, I'll finish up the Meebo bar experiment. The feedback so far has been instructive and very useful.

I don't mind the Meebo bar...I was checking it out yesterday....but if it bothers others, I am sure daft will come up with something else...
Hey...it is thanks to daft, that the delete button has returned. I do not take credit, whatsoever, but I did plug him with a few million I had left over, in chump change.
wink.gif

Well it's good to see that the Sempais have some MOD abilities once again it seems. Even though I'm no longer a Sempai, but it's still good to hear that some things went back to normal.

As for the tool bar. Even though it's in hide mode if there is anything that is clickable and it was were the bar would of been it won't work at all. I mean it almost acts like the bar is still there but has nothing on it at all. I just thought I should bring that to your attention as well.

I don't plan on using the the Meebo bar so it's mostly/always hidden for me. However, here are my two cents:

I'm running a 14-15" laptop that has a max resolution of 1280x800 in Firefox on Windows 7. Considering the amount of bookmarks I have tabbed along with the other little widgets and apps I installed from Firefox the Meebo bar takes up nothing in comparison and thus I don't even notice it (in fact I didn't notice it until I saw the comments here a day or two ago). Sure it could be smaller, but I don't see a good enough reason as to why people should be complaining. If you're running on a smaller sized screen and don't want to see it, just hide it. If you plan on using it but bugs you while browsing....hide it. Honestly speaking, it takes a click to make it go away. It can be annoying for now, but I'm sure this is just a beta at the moment.

On another note about placement of the bar, I would say have the hide arrow icon on the left side of the site instead since there seems to be a bunch of hyperlinks on the right already while the left has a lot more whitespace (from the forum perspective of course). From the main site perspective, it doesn't matter which side since there is a relatively equal distribution.

@dchaosblade: if you want to increase your screen space even more, make your start menu bar smaller.....

I don't have a problem with screen size. My problem is that I don't have a facebook or meebo account. I'd love to talk with you guys, but I don't wanna have to make an account to do that.

EDIT: I just registered cause it was easy to do on the bar. however, meebo only connects using facebook, twitter, aim, myyearbook, google talk, and myspace. I personally got an MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and do IRC. Now I don't know anyones account information so I got no FTV friends on AIM and the other ones aren't supported.

Will someone be my friend? T.T riv3rflood on AIM

EDIT2: I have another program for AIM and it just kicked me out of that. It doesn't work with other programs. If you want a bar on the bottom so that you can see your friends, there's already a chat program out for that. I think it was mibbit. I remember there was a frog as a logo.

QUOTE (truth2belief @ Mar 03 2010, 02:46 PM) I don't have a problem with screen size. My problem is that I don't have a facebook or meebo account. I'd love to talk with you guys, but I don't wanna have to make an account to do that.

EDIT: I just registered cause it was easy to do on the bar. however, meebo only connects using facebook, twitter, aim, myyearbook, google talk, and myspace. I personally got an MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and do IRC. Now I don't know anyones account information so I got no FTV friends on AIM and the other ones aren't supported.

Will someone be my friend? T.T riv3rflood on AIM

EDIT2: I have another program for AIM and it just kicked me out of that. It doesn't work with other programs. If you want a bar on the bottom so that you can see your friends, there's already a chat program out for that. I think it was mibbit. I remember there was a frog as a logo.
Meebo does in fact connect with AIM, MSN, and in all likely hood Yahoo (not completely sure as I dont have one to connect to, but I already have Meebo connected to my AIM and MSN). Pretty sure it can do IRC also, but not entirely sure and at work I can't double check since all IM services are blocked at my work. Currently linked mine to MSN, Google Talk, AIM, and Facebook. I think it's a really nice thing to have, though when I'm at home I'd probably never use it to connect through AIM since I leave that open on my laptop nearly 24/7 and I don't need the same IMs coming from 2 different sources at the same time.

Only thing I wish was if the hide button was there when you are logged into the Meebo bar. Maybe I just missed it but I didn't see a hide button after logging into the Meebo bar, though that doesn't bother me much since the bar isn't that intrusive on my screen to begin with.

I will be your friend truth. Wtrman299 on AIM
smile.gif

Edit: To connect to all the other services you have to go do it on Meebo's actual site. Those 6 you listed are just the ones you can do through the Meebo bar alone.

Oh yeah speaking of the tool bar it seems that evey page that I go to it tends to slow down the load time of the page a bit. Heck one time when I was about to post something up since I had to refresh the page to make sure I wanted to post something it more or less locked up on me.

Anyways there's nothing worng with the bar, but it would be better if it was one the part were the anime is hosted and not the enitre site. I mean it'll make browsing the porums a little easier if you ask me.

I'm kinda in a mixed boat on this... I DO really like that the j-zine blog is linked with the FTV Facebook page, I think thats awesome, although i was a bit shocked to suddenly see all my posts on facebook lol. That will help j-zine a lot, although the mag is now totally stalled/dead.

As for the bar, I personally dont like it, its one more annoyance in the browser, and even when hidden its still there playing with my connection. I'd like to ask for a profile option to turn it off, then it would be cool.

As signatures were mentioned, can we have an amendment to the signature rule so the signatures do not scroll? ie if the sig makes a scroll box its too long or must have a spoiler button. Or maybe the forum can auto put a spolier button insted of making it scroll?

When scrolling the forums theres nothing worse than hitting a sig which takes the focus when scolling so i have to click the page and carry on scolling to get to the next post. Yes i know theres the profile option, but i like to see the sigs, just not have to scroll them.

EDIT - ok i found a bug. Make a post on here, so you have this box where you type the post and you have the meebo bar hidden, now align the "add reply" and "preview post" buttons at the bottom of the page - where the "hidden" bar is - they dont work. Thats with latest crashfox.

Thanks for your feedback. I have a better idea of how to go forward with the new planned navigation menu. My initial idea was to float it statically just like the meebo bar (meaning even when you scroll, it stays in the same spot on your browser) but it appears that there might be some screen real-estate issues with that.

Here's an idea.

How about not editing posts like you own them.

Recently I posted in the Relationships thread, only to have half of my point edited away.

That's retarded and if this forum is like that... well there are other forums that aren't.

MOD Note: Would you mind giving a better explaination about that. Since sometime people edit posts because it either doesn't make sense or they try to cut out things that don't make sense. Besides only MOD's are actually allowed to edit someone's post aside from the user themself.

It might have been edited for some hard truths...
The nature of human relationships can tend towards the adult.

I re-posted with some slight changes and it hasn't been edited.
I was hot because it was edited and not just removed.

It changed the meaning of my post entirely, and felt like words were being put in my mouth, which is one of my few pet peeves.

For example:
I set the house on fire... because it was full of zombies.

Sorry if I was nasty or short, I think that the mods here are generally awesome and didn't have any ill intentions.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back