CD/DVD drive disappeared

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Jun 09 2010, 04:47 PM) Computer store have certain rules to follow so they dont get sue bringing it to ppl who work and fix comp is better since most is not bind by that rules. So bringing it to an independent comp tech is better. You know formating it would...might have fixed it by now...humm speaking of formating it...

check if you can boot to cd if it can read from those process if it can then it have to be something software/registry wise or stuff that control the cd drive stuff.
except that I don't have a disc for windows 7 on me at the moment...and I heard formatting doesn't necessarily fix the problem. I do remember being able to boot to cd though so I'm pretty sure it's a software/registry issue. The question though is what software/registry.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ May 31 2010, 09:45 PM) So I realized today that my CD/DVD drive has suddenly disappeared.
It's still there. You just need to look at that box thingy and you'll be able to spot it.

Okay nevermind, you're using a laptop. Yeah someone must've jacked it when you were in library.
Test if your bios actually detects it.

QUOTE (noob @ Jun 09 2010, 05:04 PM) It's still there. You just need to look at that box thingy and you'll be able to spot it.

Okay nevermind, you're using a laptop. Yeah someone must've jacked it when you were in library.
Test if your bios actually detects it.
I can't do much with my bios. A laptop bios doesn't let me maneuver much, but I'm pretty sure the dvd drive is still there since this has already happened once before and I got it back, but then disappeared again a few days later.

Kit, have you tried the following site by any chance?

Laptopvideo2go

They host newer versions of the drivers that you may need to get things up and running again.

Other than that, still researching in the background.

One last question, when you startup your pc, does it show a sony logo or does it show all your computer specs as it boots up? I thought it was HP...lol

Edit: Also, something else that just occurred to me. Did you upgrade from the default Windows Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64?

Also check under device manager, and select View -> Show Hidden Devices. Check the sections, specifically IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If there are multiple ATA Channel 0 and 1's, then uninstall each. Restart system, and it should pick them up again.

Also, go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware Tab -> Click on Device Installation Settings -> Click the No radio button and select Install Driver software from Windows Update if it is not found on my computer. Click OK, and ok, and close the window. Shutdown the machine, then start it back up after a couple of seconds.

QUOTE (destroyah @ Jun 09 2010, 08:15 PM) Kit, have you tried the following site by any chance?

Laptopvideo2go

They host newer versions of the drivers that you may need to get things up and running again.

Other than that, still researching in the background.

One last question, when you startup your pc, does it show a sony logo or does it show all your computer specs as it boots up? I thought it was HP...lol

Edit: Also, something else that just occurred to me. Did you upgrade from the default Windows Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64?

Also check under device manager, and select View -> Show Hidden Devices. Check the sections, specifically IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If there are multiple ATA Channel 0 and 1's, then uninstall each. Restart system, and it should pick them up again.

Also, go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware Tab -> Click on Device Installation Settings -> Click the No radio button and select Install Driver software from Windows Update if it is not found on my computer. Click OK, and ok, and close the window. Shutdown the machine, then start it back up after a couple of seconds.
yes I have and evidently the drivers downgraded by computer's performance
dry.gif

I did a clean install for Windows 7 but yes the computer was originally vista x64.

I tried uninstalling those and when I rebooted all 4 still came back even after choosing the Install Driver Software from Windows update if not found on computer.

Edit: oh and my computer is an HP laptop that shows the HP logo at startup, not specs.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back