Animes of October 2004 (part 1)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
[doHTML]<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="10" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td align="center"><table width="625" border="0" cellspacing="4" cellpadding="0" style="border: 1px solid #CCCCCC">
<tr>
<td align="center">Direct Download: October 2004 New Animes Compilation, part 1
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="text-align:justify">Running at 6 minutes and 53 seconds long, this compilation features 11 of 24 fansubbed series that started airing October 2004. The episode one opening clips were used from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Kannazuki no Miko, Kakyuusei 2, Viewtiful Joe, To Heart ~Remember my Memories~, Utakata, Final Approach, W -Wish-, Gunbuster 2, Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ and School Rumble in the order that they were aired. SunaBouzu was actually aired between Tsukuyomi and School Rumble, but it was omitted since it had a strange opening. October 2004 Part 1 is the pilot for the compilation series and was thrown together in 3 hours. Please leave comments and feedback, as this will determine whether or not the monthly compilations will continue.<br>
<br>
Size: 45.95 MB<br>
Length: 6 minutes 53 seconds
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="center">Comments @ http://boards.fansub.tv/index.php?showtopic=144</td>
</tr>
</table></td>
</tr>
</table>[/doHTML]

Well, I hope I don't offend you, but here is my criticism.

This is a good way to see what the shows are like for sure, although like the other guy said less opening scenes.

I didn't like the music (too repetitive, and not in a good way) this is the main reason I didn't like it.

Other than that, perhaps consider overlaying dialogue with the music? Just a thought and/or creating a running theme.

For 3 hours this wasn't too shabby, but you can tell it was thrown together in 3 hours.
smile.gif
It might be ok for someone who hasn't seen any of these shows, but if you have it is a bit boring.

I have seen a lot of music videos at www.animemusicvideos.org, so perhaps this makes me a bit more critical.

Please get a better song
wink.gif

Alright. It's good to hear people's criticism. I asked a few people who haven't seen the latest stuff to watch it and the usual comment was 'it was good'... which oddly enough isn't exactly whated I want to hear. The other usual comment was that the subtitles were distracting and raws were preferred.

Another person said the music was repetitive too but others seemed to like it. I guess it's a mixed bag there. The song was actually looped and played twice. I was only planning on making this a 3.5 minute video with 24 animes but it turned into a 7 minute video with 11 animes (go figure).

I started this video at 3AM and finished it by 6, got it exported, encoded and uploaded by 7. The video was pretty much made for people who haven't seen all of the latest stuff. I was planning on putting in titles and stuff so it would identify the animes but simply forgot about it. As for the voice overlay, it's a good idea. Perhaps I'll try to get one of the English (well... more specifically British) radio DJs I know back from my DJing days to do this.

Well, I'll try to express my opinion...

The idea to create this was good - most of people don't download ALL available series... As example, I'm downloading some of these series because I thought they were bad (I didn't like reviews and screens in animenfo and other sites)

The compilation was good, although it had problems:
1) I had to watch it 5 times to understand where does one anime end and the other - start. But you know about this problem already...
2) If one song isn't enough, create two compilations with different songs or smth like that. ~7 minutes of one song is VERY annoying...
3) It would be nice to see what kind of anime is that (in example if it has fight scenes, please put at least one of them for a second)
This mistake was made in Kannazuki no Miko - didn't see any mecha or fighting, just two weird romantic girls...
4) Please put less or even no openings. Even if they may be created well, they have annoying subtitles... This would result in less work + no subtitles (at least not over all screen as in To Heart ~Remember my memories~ and Viewtifull Joe)
5) If it is possible, don't put scenes like in 03.49 (it's maybe Final Approach, dunno exactly). It seems that quality of that anime may be really bad, even if that scene is created on purpose)
6) Tsukuyomi Moon Phase - it's good anime, but most of my friends tell me that opening is SO stupid, that they haven't even tried it. But it was used in compilation... Anime isn't THAT stupid, so please at least put some scenes from the anime itself...
7) Time spent to preview each anime - but I think I know the reason why first animes take ~30 seconds, and the last - ~1min 20 seconds... Just try to distribute the time equally...

I hadn't said much about music or voice overlay... I think you'll find the best solution...Keep up the good work!

My English isn't very good, sorry for that.

(sh*t, I had to register in order to put only one post again. hope it was worth it)

• Music is fine. However, it's too repetitive like mentioned by members above. Use the real music without having repetitive loop may be a better choice.
  • Better squeeze the length of video stream down equivalent to the length of the chosen music.
  • Some scenes don't go well with the type or tempo of music you choose. Be careful about this point. After making AMV again, try to watch by yourself first and think yourself as one of the audience.
  • If you can (this requires a bit of skills), try to blend these anime together. Don't try to make audiences feel like they're watching anime cut from each anime in sequel.
  • If you can, clean the source (use temporal & spacial cleaners) before re-encoding again. Some artifacts can be seen clearly and its quality is very poor.
  • Have a look at some AMV sites. Some of them have very nice clips that may give you new idea for the next clip.
  • Last thing. Be patient, persistent, and never give up. This has no shortcut. Learn from your and others' mistakes.

I put up a draft 3 minute version of the upcoming part 2. Timing tweaks as well as changed aspect ratio are things you'll see in the final version. The timing tweaks will make it fit better with the music and the aspect ratio change will cut the top and bottom part of the video, essentially removing the subtitles.
http://media.fansub.tv/nov22-divx.avi

Hm.. I don't think I've made it clear yet that this isn't supposed to be an anime music video. It's just supposed to be a teaser for animes of the month. The target audience of the 'compilation series' is people who don't download every anime that comes out. Anyways, I hope the part 2 draft is an improvement from part 1. Thanks for the feedback as it was quite helpful.

Ok...now I understand what you're trying to do.

It'd look better if there's no text on the clip as you said. If you can get a raw of those anime, it'd be cool. Or get OGM or MKV version of those anime. At least you can demux and use only video part.

umm.. well, I think the clip was good ... nice music .... maybe a little bit repetitive, but in the end it's a great work, though if there could be some improvments, especially the transition parts could be "nicer" (smooth / slower).
But after all, it's a good one !! ^^ I hope there will be more.

I thought it was a bit too much. The different series change without you knowing which one is which. It is good don't get me wrong but confusing.

The main thing I didnt like about the clips, was that you used clips from the op's that almost all had karaoke.... it got rather annoying.

As mentioned earlier I think, it would be better to somehow put the name of the anime in the corner when starting a new series' clip so those who have never seen them (as who its supposed to be for, me being one of those) will know which series it is and not have to count through the video hoping you count the right amount of series shown and stare at the list of which animes is in the video.

Also, the time spent on the last 2-3 series was extremely long when compared to the first few

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back