2nd Webserver

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
We now have a second webserver that uses some rudamentary load balancing and failover services to help ensure that Fansub.TV is online at all times.

So when server 1 doesn't work, server 2 the download mirror will start up ???

How do you setup all this ._.;

But then isn't the problem with doing that meaning your using space on the new server to host the same things as server 1 ? When you could have hosted new things ?

QUOTE (Moogle Stiltzkin @ Nov 10 2004, 02:37 AM) So when server 1 doesn't work, server 2 the download mirror will start up ???

How do you setup all this ._.;

But then isn't the problem with doing that meaning your using space on the new server to host the same things as server 1 ? When you could have hosted new things ?
At this moment, we have four servers but we'll only have three by the start of next month. The servers are all setup for load balancing (meaning part of the load goes to one server, and another part of the load goes to the others) and when a server goes down out of our load balancing setup, it is removed from the cluster. This is all done with our two high performance webservers.

The distribution system also has a load balancing system coded into it, but we're only using Seras, our new server, right now. As for Luna, we're using Luna to test some things which may be a little risky to do on a production machine and we're having her turned off at the end of the month to cut costs.

How did I set this all up? It's good having some professional experience in this field. =)

damn man that must of cost a hell load 4 servers load balancing
damn damn damn O.O
well i hope everything goes well for this site!
smile.gif

Well, even with two webservers, we will still have a single point of failure. If the database server goes down, then the site loses functionality and the best case scenario would be that the site is available in 'read-only' mode.

Heh, damage can always be done by any haxxor regardless of their skill. All it takes is a DDOS attack and servers can go down.

Whats a DDOS and how do you do it ???

I thought the Amd nForce 3/4 chipset motherboards have protection against DDOS, or was it routers ....

A ddos attack is a distributed denial of service attack. You get a lot of machines together (several hundred) and all do something to the target server (hit a page, ping with a huge huge packet, send syn packets, or other random stuff) so that the network pipe becomes filled with useless data or the server becomes overloaded handling ghost requests. A normal person trying to access the site now becomes one among the fake thousands, and will probably be denied service.

It's probably the router that would have protection against DDOS attacks.

Kewl. But ddos is impossible if it's a small time hacker right ???

Only hacker groups would have that many machines to launch an attack is it ?

A small time hacker can easily infiltrate hundreds of systems with the right code. Everytime a system is infiltrated, that's +1 to their DDOS arsenal.

Their are probably millions of computers out there that are already compromised. All any hacker needs to do is to run an appropriate script to activate them. DDOS doesn't even require ping with a large packet. It's the number of packets hitting per second that causes the problem, not necessarily the size.

Load balancing servers is a pain but becomes easier with experience. Load balancing database servers is even worse. I'm not going to ask about sort of load balancing or anything like that. That's getting too close to work for me.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back